Painting existing finished table/chairs

Old 03-13-04, 09:29 AM
sambuco
Visiting Guest
Painting existing finished table/chairs

We have a dining room hutch and table/chairs my wife would like to finish/paint. The current items are finished and are most likely at least 30 years old. The wood is maple. She would like me to refinish the table surface, chair seats hutch flat suface, and glass doors. I think I can handle the refinishing. The question I have is how to properly paint the items she wants painted black. Can I just paint over the existing finish with the black paint. The type of appearance she is looking for is at corner(rub areas) to see the wood/finsh underneath. What type of black paint should be use? Any special procedures?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 03-13-04, 11:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Long term results will be better if you strip these prior to painting.

Otherwise, you can clean the surface with mineral spirits using white cloths to scrub off all the grime, wax, and such. Scrub until the white cloth comes away clean.. If the finish is glossy, scrub it with a scotchbrite pad to knock down the sheen. Prime with a top quality primer such as: Zinsser 123. Paint with a top quality interior latex paint. Two coats will be better for furniture.

Here is an article on distressing. Part of it addresses some of what you want to do.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...&art=1.2.1.1.9

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: