What type of wood to use

Old 03-14-04, 07:54 AM
Randog_2
Visiting Guest
What type of wood to use

We're recorating a home office.
All of the wood surfaces will be stained in cherry.
We're doing base, chair and crown moulding. We also have planned interior french doors, a desk top and some simple cabinetry.
My question - what wood do I use to obtain the proper "cherry-look" after it is stained and finished?
I'll need to buy the trim pieces, unfinished double french doors, and a sheet of veneer plywood for the desk and cabinet.
Hemlock? Fir? Some of the products may only available in certain woods...in that case which will match?
(I'm not buying cherry wood...I'm on a budget)
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-14-04, 09:34 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poplar or birch are good alternatives for a wood to be stained and pass as cherry.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-04, 12:09 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
I'd stick with birch, it's light color will help bring the red out in the cherry. Be very picky with the wood you get. Some birch is darker than others and will give you a different finish color.
Poplar is nice but I don't think it looks as good as birch does with a cherry finish. Used to stain and finish cabinetry some years ago. For reasons that you exclaimed, it's too expensive, that is why we used birch. And poplar just didn't catch most people's eye to well. good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: