Help with restaining wood veneer cabinets

Old 03-31-04, 01:26 PM
rwg395
Visiting Guest
Help with restaining wood veneer cabinets

Hello! I recently bought an older house that has great kitchen cabinets made of wood veneer. They are in good shape overall and I'd like to keep them, however the finish is showing its age.

I understand that I am able to strip and restain them a darker color.

Which products are recommended for stripping? Will this take off both the finish and the original stain? After stripping am I able to start staining or is there more preparation required? What types of finishes are recommended following staining? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-04, 06:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chemical strippers will remove the finish and stain. Follow the directions for use and final cleaning. Kleen Stryp and Styp-Ez are good products. Use the semi-paste to reduce dripping and running on vertical surfaces.

You can use many types of clear finishes over stain: polyurethane, lacquer, and so forth. For the homeowner, polyurethane is probably the most reliable for application and durability.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-04, 07:15 AM
rwg395
Visiting Guest
Is there any trick to stripping finish off veneer? I heard somewhere that you can't leave chemical strippers on very long because they will seep through the veneer and harm the glue holding the veneer on. Thanks

Old 04-01-04, 08:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I feel sure your cabinets are plywood with a veneer exterior, a standard technique. The strippers won't cause any problems if used according to the directions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: