best way to redo painted wood beams

Old 04-06-04, 10:39 AM
xnera
Visiting Guest
best way to redo painted wood beams

The exposed ceiling beams in my house have been painted grey (as well as the stair-rail and window frames). Before they were painted grey I can see they were painted a whitish color. It looks pretty ugly and I want to fix it.
I am wondering what the quickest/easiest way to fix them. I know the best way would probably be to strip the paint off them to get the original wood look and just do touch ups on that. However, the thought of stripping all those beams and I just don't have the time and energy to do that.
I am wondering if there is someway I can use 'faux' painting to make it look like wood again. Or some gel stains? should I paint them white color first and then try some gel wood stains?
Or if you know of some easy to use paint stripper that works on the first try and easy to use on ceiling beams that would be great. I tried a paint stripper on a wood beam that was the mantle and because the wood isn't smooth (lots of indents) it didn't work and took forever and lots of energy. I ended up covering it with a plank of wood to make the mantle bigger and putting some trim in front (actually looks really nice).

All suggestions are welcome!

Old 05-05-04, 06:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Stripping paint from wood is very hard to do successfully. I would probably go this route.

Prep them for painting, by scraping peeling areas, sanding smooth, etc.
Paint them a 'stain base coat'. These are usually alkyd products, colored like the wood you are trying to replicate. A light oak, cherry, maple, etc.
After this is dry, you apply a stain to it with a graining tool to simulate wood grain. Then before the stain dries, you 'pickle' it with a pickling brush to tone down the stain look.

This is the best answer I can come up with for your question. Be forewarned though, graining as i mentioned above is not easy in the slightest, and has a learning curve. Takes skill and lots of practice. You might want to consider painting them another color that agrees with you more.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-06-04, 08:00 AM
xnera
Visiting Guest
well I have lots of areas in my house I can try this on to see how it comes out that won't be really noticible if it doesn't come out now.

What section of the hardware store do I find 'stain base coat' ? - near paints or stains or? What are some brands to look for? I always find that when a product is suggested, 1/2 the time I can't find a product by that name in store. Does Home Depot carry it?

Is a pickling brush named that in the store? what does it look like? I did a search on the web for that and didn't get anything specific to pickling brush.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-04, 07:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This technique is for painting, not hardware. To find any of these items, you must visit a paint store, not a hardware store. Home Depot is a discount hardware store. Find a good paint store in your area and they will help you with all these items.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: