painting unfinished chairs

Old 04-25-04, 08:22 AM
Carol B.
Visiting Guest
Wink painting unfinished chairs

I have 4 unfinished alder wood chairs that will be used in the kitchen. I would like to do a sponged painted finish and am looking for advice on the following questions:

1. How do I avoid brush marks?

2. What type of paint should I use? Latex or something else? I want a slight sheen - not shiny but something that will stand up to wear and tear in the kitchen. Can I sponge over a satin or eggshell finish?

3. Do I have to sand the primer coat, and if so, why - since the primer is a matte finish?

4. I'm thinking about not painting the chair seats, but staining and finishing them to match my floors and cabinets. What do you recommend? Is there something that will stain and finish in one step? (May be wishful thinking )

5. Do I need to put a clear coat over the final sponged finish? If so, what? Is there a website with instructions on how to do the sponging?

Thanks so much for any help on this project. ~Carol

Old 04-26-04, 12:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, CarolB! thanks for your question. i've moved it into the Wood Finishing forum, where i think it needs to be. the furniture refinishing / painting pro's will have advice for you here.

i do know that there ARE stains that contain a polyurethane, so you can stain & seal in one step. i've used them with great success. i used a cheap foam "brush" applicator which worked well and left no brush stroke marks. a light sanding in between coats kept the finish velvety smooth.

good luck!

Old 04-30-04, 07:21 PM
MrsFauxster
Visiting Guest
Hi Carol-

Yes you can use latex paint as long as the chairs are not finished with an oil-based poly already. If they are, sand them a smidge to "break the surface" and rough them up a bit. Prime with oil based primer, then you can paint with latex paint.
As far as sheen goes, we always put two coats of satin poly as our final coat just to insure long life and durability.

Sponging is easy-just remember to work the paint enough to not look like "spots", but don't work it to death or you will lose the effect! Just practice on some poster boards from walmart that have been "basecoated" with your paint like a wall would be. (Do all your painting on the shiny side of the poster board).

As for the seats...on MANY occasions we have mixed a stain color of choice into a can of poly and applied that mixture to wood to change the color of the wood. Just make sure if you use water based stain, it's put into water based poly! Don't mix oil and water-based products!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: