Front Door Face Lift

Old 05-28-04, 09:34 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Front Door Face Lift

Hello, Love this forum. Just recently had some help with staining a bar and it is greatly appreciated. New topic - I have a large oak front door with 2 leaded glass side lights. There is no storm door or screen. Pullling out of my drive I noticed that the door appeared slighlty faded in the lower portion. I tried wiping with cleaner thinking it was simply rain/dust splash but it seems more embedded. Do I have to resand the entire door, re-stain, and then re-finish or is there a process with less steps? I am about to poly protect my bar so could easily keep brushing on the door if that is all it needs. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-28-04, 06:47 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scrape this aberrant part of the door with a fingernail. If any finish comes off, it will need to be stripped and refinished. Otherwise, clean the door with spic and span, lightly sand the surface and apply some top quality exterior polyrethane to refresh the finish. This will need to be done to exterior stained doors from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-04, 09:41 AM
L
Question Wooden Door in SW Texas

I have a wooden front door without storm door. The door faces southwest and every summer I have to sand it and put new coating of polyurethane. The sun and heat are really brutal on this door. Am I not using the correct finish for this type of exposure?

Old 08-20-04, 08:13 PM
C
The sun and heat are really brutal on this door
In my experience, only paint would last longer in this setting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: