Stripping last layer of paint?

Old 06-13-04, 05:42 PM
carlab44
Visiting Guest
Stripping last layer of paint?

I'm in the process of stripping multiple layers of paint off of our 110 year old bannister. I've gotten most of the paint off of our first baluster at the bottom of the stairs, but am having a hard time getting the last remanents of the green (yes, someone a long time ago painted it all green). The problem is the baluster is fairly detailed and rounded, so it's hard to scrape off completely. Wiping it with a dry or damp cloth while it's wet with the stripper just smears the last bits of paint around but doesn't actually remove it. Would you recommend wiping it down with some paint thinner or turpentine while it's still wet? Or is it better to let it dry and sand the last bits off? It's beautiful old straight grain fir and I'm hoping to stain it all once it's finished.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-04, 07:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scrub at the remnants with a brush and stripper to get the last traces. There are brass brushes and plastic bristled brushes for this purpose. There are coarse and fine scotchbrite pads for cleaning out paint when stripping.

Follow the directions on the stripper can for last stage clean up.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: