Stain still tacky

Old 06-28-04, 11:33 AM
jodskiinca
Visiting Guest
Stain still tacky

Hi,

I used Minwax Wood Finish over one of my dining room chairs to darken it a bit. I didn't do anything to the chair except wash it. I was going for a rustic look and didn't care if the color was even. I really love the look, but the stain is still tacky after 24 hrs. Will it eventually dry? I do not plan on stripping all of the chairs to restain. They all had a finish on them prior to my staining the one. Thanks for any help.

Jodi

Old 06-28-04, 02:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jodi,

You used a stain (or combo stain/poly) over a finished piece!! It will not soak into the wood at all.
Most furniture made since the 70's has a lacquer finish for mfg quick drying.

You can remove the stain with mineral spirits.

There are combination stains/finishes but I still would hesitate to use them on a finished piece of furniture. If you want a darker finish, I'm afraid you'll have to get down to the bare wood to apply a darker stain.

fred

Old 06-28-04, 03:20 PM
jodskiinca
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

I realize that what I did was wrong and I know now that it won't soak into the wood, but will it eventually dry or will it remain tacky forever? I'm not going to strip all of the chairs. I'm 6 mos. pregnant and that's too much work...besides, I'm only going to keep these chairs until I can afford the ones I want. If they won't ever dry, I'll paint them. Can I paint over what I've done or do I need to wipe them down with mineral spirits first? Thank you for your reply!

Jodi

Old 06-30-04, 09:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain is to applied to bare wood. Applied over a finish, it will not dry. Without a protective finish, it will always rub off.

You might be able to achieve your desired result by applying a finish that has a stain in it. Just remove the current stain and apply the finish with the stain in it.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: