Still not dry...

Old 07-12-04, 10:10 AM
karina501
Visiting Guest
Still not dry...

I have stripped my kitchen cabinets using a gel-like stripper I purchased from Home Depot. After following the instructions, I then applied the stain. It has been 48+ hrs and they are still sticky. What's wrong?

Old 07-12-04, 10:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what kind of stain did you use (liquid stain, stain with poly built in, gel stain, etc...) & how did you apply it (foam brush, paint brush, cloth, etc...)?

i'm not a pro in this area, but i'm sure they'll need to know the details in order to help you.

Old 07-12-04, 12:57 PM
karina501
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I used a Minwax indoor red mahogany stain and a foam brush applicator. The stripping agent came in a metal can, was slightly pinkish in color and very thick. It said it was specifically for paints and wood stains. I applied that with a regular paint brush, used a plastic scrapper to remove it after about 30 minutes and then wiped them down with a clean, damp cloth. After applying the stain, I let is soak for about 15 mins and then wiped off. I did leave a somewhat thick layer but I would expect after 48+ hours even that would be dry by now.

Old 07-12-04, 01:07 PM
I did leave a somewhat thick layer but I would expect after 48+ hours even that would be dry by now.

again, i'm no pro, but:
unless the stain has a polyurethane additive, i don't think you're supposed to leave a layer at all. stain is just that - stain. it goes INTO the wood & stains it. it's not meant to be left puddled on top of the surface. i would wipe all of it off the surface & just leave the stained effect. then seal it with a poly, which is meant to be a topical sealer.

also, you might not have gotten all the stripper residue off. wiping with a "damp cloth" isn't the usual way to do it. i think you need to use terpentine or paint thinner or something. did the stripper say to use water?

Old 07-12-04, 05:09 PM
karina501
Visiting Guest
I'll try wiping more off and see if that helps. The stripping instructions said to just brush it on, wait 10-30 min and scrap off with plastic scrapper. To finish it said 'no sanding required' just to wipe down with clean, damp cloth and allow to dry before applying stain. I can't stand not being able to move around in the kitchen any longer so I'll try wiping more off. Thank you!

Old 07-12-04, 07:14 PM
C
The stripper should have been used to remove all the old finish and stain then be neutralized according to the instructions on the can. Unless the new material was applied too thickly, it should be dry to the touch in 8 - 12 hours. It may be that you did not remove it all with the damp cloth.

Old 07-31-04, 04:03 AM
llfalcon
Visiting Guest
I spoke with Minwax suppport just yesterday. They told me the stain residue should be thoroughly removed, until no more rubs off on your cloth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: