dresser needs work

Old 07-21-04, 04:13 AM
jbsauls
Visiting Guest
Smile dresser needs work

I purchased a dresser from a consignment shop. It's solid wood and in very good condition. The problem, the previous owner painted this awful greenish gold color on all of the detail (nooks and cranies). Is there any way to remove just the paint without stripping the entire piece?

Old 07-21-04, 07:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the paint is latex and the finish underneath is intact, you can wipe the latex paint off with paint thinner. Otherwise, stripper will be needed.

Old 07-30-04, 04:49 AM
jbsauls
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help! Another question. If I decide to paint this dresser (shabby chic), after I sand, prime do I need to paint it a dark wood like color before the final white color so that when I sand off a bit of the edges the dark paint shows thru or just prime, paint and sand to expose the wood? Also, are two coats of primer necessary and do I need to sand between coats? This dresser is a little ornate and sanding will be a challange! Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-04, 09:30 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You would paint the dark color only if you want to expose that particular color when you sand back the finish.

One full coat of primer is usually all that is needed. You can have the primer tinted toward the same color as the paint in order to keep it from showing through white, if you so desire.

Sanding between coats helps present a smoother finish by removing any nibs or other irregularities that show up in the paint when it is not strained before application.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: