hiding oak grain

Old 08-10-04, 07:15 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hiding oak grain

I have an oak entertainment center that I stripped and sanded. I want to refinish it with a dark mahogany stain, but I don't want the oak grain to show through. Should I use sanding sealer? Wood filler? What about water-based stains vs. oil vs. analin dyes? What about watered-down paint? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-11-04, 08:40 AM
Furniturebldr
Visiting Guest
There is NOTHING you can do to hide the oak graining. If you want to push the graning back a bit, yes, you can use aniline dyes. I use all chemical based products, so I couldn't give you advice on water based.

If you don't want the graning to pop so much to where you can feel it, you could buy a grain filler, but you're looking at a lot of work ahead of you.

With the dyes, you would need to stain it, seal it, sand 320, put on heavy dyes which will push back the grain and start to make it look more like paint, but you need to know when to say when. Put the dyes on in layers, don't try to flood the piece. You'll need to mix the dyes with lacquer thinner and a little of your lacquer finish. "Spraying it on"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: