staining oak rail and nosing

Old 08-12-04, 09:41 AM
G
gjs
Visiting Guest
staining oak rail and nosing

I need to stain and poly an oak bannister, newell post , and oak nosing--all new, unfinished and installed--around a stairwell. there are white painted spindles installed between the railing and nosiing. The stain is going to be a dark dark brown, has to be as even as possible, and must not get on the painted spindles. I have some Idea as how I 'm going to do this--i.e.masking the spindles--but would greatly apreciate any input on the best way to go about it, especially in terms of staining the oak as evenly as possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 12:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The stain should be applied evenly, allowed to set for a bit, then the excess wiped off. You could use a small soft brush or a cloth to apply the stain. Check the instructions on the container for details. Work on one piece at a time.

Masking will be important, but don't think it will prevent any spills or runs from wicking under the tape. Work neatly. Wipe up any runs or spills as soon as they happen.

Wash the bare wood with mineral spirits prior to staining. Any surface contaminant, such as: fingerprints, glue, or other will show up as light places. This way you will know where they are and can remove them prior to staining to ensure an even stain. Mineral spirits will not damage the bare wood or the adjacent finish and leaves no residue when it evaporates.

Hope this helps.