Trying to stain Oak to Mahogany, need help!

Old 08-30-04, 11:41 AM
xoie
Visiting Guest
Question Trying to stain Oak to Mahogany, need help!

Please help, I have unsuccessfully tried to stain Oak cabinets to a dark Mahogony color and the wood won't absorb the color. It just looks a little more "honey" than it did before. I have sanded down to what I think is the end of my veneer and am getting kinda desperate. I need a plan B.

Can I paint the stain on and just not wipe it off and let it dry like that? It looks ok wet, but will it ever dry so that I can poly over it? Or is that just a dumb idea. ... or...

Can I dilute my mahogony colored paint with thinner enough that I can paint some of that on and still see the wood grain?

Please help, any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-04, 08:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem with oak is that it will always look like oak. I have stained oak mahogany, but not with the usual stains available. I use aniline dyes.

If you fail to wipe the stain, you will end up with a sticky mess that will never dry or be even.

Diluting paint would be experimentation that you would undertake on your own. Since paint is intended to be a solid color, it seems unlikely that it would achieve your goal.

I recommend aniline dye for your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: