Pickled white kitchen cabinet

Old 09-27-04, 06:26 PM
CurlieCarl
Visiting Guest
Angry Pickled white kitchen cabinet

[FOundefinedundefinedNT=Georgia]undefined[/FONT]

Hello Guys/Gals

Last week I decided to refinish the cabinets. The idea was to take off the old gunk and re paint with pickled white. Ok I hired a guy at about 300.00 who removed the gunk and painted one light coat of pickled white. They looked beautiful. Then the dreadful act was commited as he applied a sealer. The effect showed every single imperfection of the wood from the begining of time. It gave it a rustic rough look. I was looking for a soft smooth look. So the guy came back and resanded and repainted and now I am left with patchy cabinets that look absolutley ugly as sin. I was think of using chemicals to remove the paint and try again. Is there any hope for the cabinets? Please help!

Carla

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
every single imperfection of the wood from the beginning of time.
What imperfections are these?

patchy cabinets
Patchy how? Finish, color?

Old 09-29-04, 05:51 PM
CurlieCarl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Pickled White Dilema

Hello Chris,

Thanks for responding so quickly. By patchiness I mean uneven paint. (Pickeled white gives a white effect although you are able to see the grain of the wood. It kind of looks like a bleached effect although you see the grain to be slightly darker than the rest of the wood. The contractors were not versed in cabinetry. I found out they sould have used Shellac and sealed the cabinets first after lifting the old varnish . Instead they sealed the cabinets when finished. This pulled out ALL the imperfections. The imperfections are scratches that were put on through time and covered by using a stain and varnish. The imperfections include scratches and some gashes. They include and not limited to rubbing against the grain. The house is 1915 don't know what date the cabinets are however I do know they are Fir a pine wood.

What I have done is removed the paint with a product called Peel Away. I then used a heavy duty brush and denotated alcohol. It looks like I am finally getting back to the original wood. Lots of work though. I am wondering about bleaching the wood but do not want to loose the look of the grain. Do you recommend that I eliminate the bleach and go straight for the shellac?

Thanks for your help.

Carla

Old 09-29-04, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After stripping the wood and neutralizing it, use a pickling stain to stain the wood. It will allow the grain to show, as would any stain, while possessing the thin characteristic of pickling to present a white tint to the wood itself. Then finish with polyurethane or your choice of finish.

The scratches and other damage to the wood will not go away unless you sand them out. I don't recommend this as it will require much sanding and you may be tempted to spot sand, creating dips in the wood. The dips will be as unappealing as anything.

Shellac is not a durable finish. Sealing the wood before applying the pickling will cause it to show as brush marks and puddling. This will not achieve the desired effect.

Hope this helps.