Filling holes: putty v. wood filler

Old 10-07-04, 08:43 AM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Filling holes: putty v. wood filler

I want to mount a wooden strip for coat hooks. I have located the wall studs and plan to countersink the screw heads to get them below the surface level. Which material is recommended for filling the holes, putty or wood filler? I plan on painting the wood, not staining it.

Also, with regard to putty, I recall having had trouble when tooling it with a putty knife in that the putty will pull away from the side of a hole as draw the knife across it. Is this just the nature of the material or is there some trick of the trade?

Thanks
Ken K

Old 10-07-04, 05:20 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would use spackle for painting. When you mention putty, do you mean the putty used for windows? It will slide off the knife is the knife is wiped with linseed oil beforehand. Wood filler will do as well, but may take longer to dry.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-04, 05:27 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
I did not know I could use spackle; I was afraid it would not form a good bond with the wood. That would be easier.

I have already used putty (DAP Painter's Putty #53) in one hole. If I remove it, will there be any problems with adherence of the spackle afterwards because of a film of residual putty?

Thanks
Ken K

Old 10-08-04, 07:05 PM
C
Unfortunately, the DAP putty is an oil product. If you remove it, try to scrape off the surface of the wood where it was to remove as much of the oil as possible. The putty requires 48 hours to cure prior to painting and must be primed with an alkyd primer. It does not sand well, and must be struck off with a clean knife.

DAP's information. http://www.dap.com/techbulletins/00010407.pdf

After you remove it and let the scraped area dry, apply the spackle.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-04, 09:05 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I scraped it off and laid in my first coat of spackle. Seems to be holding. It appears to have shrunken a bit, so I will fill in tomorrow. Is it a characteristic of spackle to shrink? What are the characteristics of spackle that make it better for filling holes than, say, dry wall mud?

Thanks for the help.

Ken K

Old 10-10-04, 12:26 PM
C
Generally, spackle comes in smaller cans. There are some spackles that don't shrink. They are marketed that way. When I use spackle, I crown it a bit so there is some to sand.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-04, 02:52 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
"When I use spackle, I crown it a bit so there is some to sand."

Thanks. I figured that one out after that first coat.

Thanks for your generous sharing of info!

Ken K

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: