First Time Refinishing

Old 10-24-04, 06:25 PM
Crafty
Visiting Guest
Red face First Time Refinishing

We have some beautiful oak pieces originally refinished by my father-in-law. I recently purchased another oak piece and have stripped and sanded it down. I really would like to match the color of the existing pieces of furniture. What is my next step? My husband seems to remember that his father used tung oil. What to do?

Old 10-25-04, 07:28 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is some luck in the matching of stained oak, because oak tends to darken over time. I would take some scrap pieces and make some samples of the stain and finish to try to match.

The brand of stain and the exact finish involved will work together to affect the results.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-04, 05:11 AM
Crafty
Visiting Guest
Same as above

So do I shop for a stain or do I just use tung oil?

Old 10-26-04, 05:25 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know if your wood has been stained or not. If it has, then you should look for a stain to match. You can use 100% tung oil as a finish in any event.

Old 10-28-04, 08:07 PM
Crafty
Visiting Guest
More to know

So if I don't stain I can just use tung oil? My father-in-law died over twentyone years ago and so my husband's memory of refinishing was back when he was just a child and not paying too much attention to furniture stuff. He doesn't remember anything about stain. If I do stain what color should I strive to get? I did read in other portions of the forum that you recomend the water based so I'll go that way. But, do I use a medium or light oak finish to match what was refinished over thirty years ago? If I just use tung oil will I also need to wax the piece? It's not a valuable piece of furniture but I'd rather not botch it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: