Refinishing antique Cedar Chest

Old 10-25-04, 07:32 AM
J.D.
Visiting Guest
Refinishing antique Cedar Chest

I am in the process of refinishing a cedar chest made by "Tennessee Red Cedar & Novelty CO." of Chatanooga, Tn. I have no other information on the company. I have stripped and sanded the chest. What is the best finish to apply? When wet (Paint Thinner) the chest has beautiful color. I want to maintain the natural color. Also, one of the hinges and lid slide hinge is broken. They are copper colored, where can I find replacement hardware? I would like to get as close to original as possible.
JD

Last edited by J.D.; 10-25-04 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-25-04, 07:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would consider a brushing lacquer to help deal with any oil from the cedar. In any event, wipe the surface with lacquer thinner and let it dry just prior to the initial coat to keep any oil off the surface so that the finish can bond.

Of course, polyurethane and 100% tung oil make nice finishes. The tung oil will be most compatible with the wood. This will give you a finish similar to the effect you have seen with wiping with mineral spirits.

You might look for hardware in google along the lines of renovation and replacment hinges and such. It might be worthwhile to repair the broken pieces.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-04, 05:52 AM
J.D.
Visiting Guest
Replacement Hinges

Thank-you, how would I go about repairing hinges? A tin smith
J.D.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: