Finishing oak veneer?

Old 10-31-04, 03:20 PM
Jeremiah
Visiting Guest
Finishing oak veneer?

I have just finished making a built-in desk with an oak veneer top. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might finish the veneer? It'll have to be resistant as it'll be used by my 11-old daughter, but I'd also like it to be attractive, and I don't mind putting in the time and effort. All suggestions welcome! Thank you very much.

Old 10-31-04, 03:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Finishing Oak Veneer

This thread has been moved from Carpentry & Woodworking to Wood Finishing Forum for discussion.

Old 10-31-04, 05:44 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depending upon your preference for color, choose an appropriate stain and then clear coat with a polyurethane for durability. Water based poly will dry clear, oil based will add an amber accent. Both are durable. Two or three coats will enable sanding between coats for smoothness and should fill most of the grain so that writing on the desk will be smooth.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-04, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I made the desk I'm using right now about five years ago and have used it daily. It has a 3/4" oak plywood top that was stained then finished with two coats of water based polyurethane. Except for one 'ding' where I dropped something on it a couple of years ago, it looks just as good now as the day I finished it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: