Help with restaining an ArtDeco piece

Old 11-05-04, 12:22 PM
ClaudiaN
Visiting Guest
Help with restaining an ArtDeco piece

Hi there. I purchased an old ArtDeco vanity from an antique store. It has a laquered vaneer on top of reddish colored solid wood. Since the surface was kinda dirty and cracked in places, I tried to strip the finish away and restain the vaneer using a chemical stripper recommended by Home Depot. The finish came off in some areas, but not in others, so I have whitish spots as a result. I was hoping that it would take me down to bare vaneer, but it didn't. I also sanded lightly, but was affraid I would go through the vaneer if I did too much (in fact I did go through the vaneer in one spot). I restained, but it does not look uniform. I had good luck with refinishing solid wood before, but I guess vaneer is a whole different story.

Before I give up and just paint the whole thing, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to refinish this piece? Thanks for any info.

Old 11-05-04, 01:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Veneer is wood. Reapply the stripper until all the finish is removed. Use a plastic stripping brush to work the stain out of the pores. When you are finished with the stripper, all the finish will be gone.

Old 11-05-04, 02:57 PM
ClaudiaN
Visiting Guest
Thank you Chris. I hope you don't mind answering a few more questions.

The chemical stripper I used was Kleen Kut. This is my first time using a chemical stripper so I don't know what to expect. I thought it woud take everything right off, but after a whole day's work there is still plenty of the old stain left. Also, it seems to dry up before I have a chance to wipe it off.

Can you recommend a better product? Or I am doing something wrong? (I just poured it on, rubbed it in with a wool steel sponge and then wiped it off with paper towels).

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-04, 03:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pour it on thick and let it stand until the finish starts to wrinkle and lift from the surface. This may 5 - 15 minutes. Then remove it with the steel wool or a plastic stripping scraper or brush. Repeat as needed. When most all of it is gone, reapply and scrub with the brush just as if you were trying to clean something to get all the leftovers out.

Stripping is not a process of pour it on and wipe it off. Let it work, then scrub.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: