refinishing pine cabinets

Old 12-26-99, 12:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I've managed to strip/sand most of the varnish off my kitchen cabinets, but I seem to be having a problem with the last layer. I don't think they used a sanding sealer b/c the job was slack to say the least, but the problem is that I put in new cabinets above the old and there is an obvious darker line where the old cabinets were varnished. I'm afraid to do much more sanding without going through to the next ply. My goal is to pickle the cabinets, as I have done before, but I didn't have new unfinished cabinets mixed with old stripped cabinets, but I'm fairly certain the last time I did this I got it back to original color. Obviously, pickeling them now would show a dark grade where the old cabinets were stripped. I thought of perhaps bleaching them, but I don't know if it would bring it back to its original color or to a different or lighter color = same problem. Could I bleach them back to original color? Any other suggestions? I used the citristrip to strip them (works great, I think -- especially inside the house!), and wet sand to minimize dust in the house (also helps to raise the grain). Thanks for any help,

George.

Old 12-26-99, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Bleaching is the only alternative I can think of to your problem. The results, however, will be anyone's guess. You will definitely get a lighter finish, but whether it's going to be a match with the new is unlikely. If it's close, but not quite right (or even if it isn't, you might try playing with a thinned light stain to darken the lighter piece (whichever it is) to match the darker one.

Unfortunately, making old and new match can be a tedious process. The only sure way I know to do it is to paint. I have had some good rsults in the past with bleach, though, and if you're set on pickling, this would be the way I would go

------------------
George T.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: