minwax polycrylic va polyurethane

Old 01-15-00, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I am using the minwax pastel winter white. I know minwax recommends using polycrylic. has anyone used this stuff? I usually use polyurethane and was wondering how well the crylic holds up compared to the polyurethane. I am also concerned about yellowing. Any advice? Thanks

Old 01-16-00, 02:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Ed:

The crylic and the poly are about equal in durability. Minwax suggests (strongly) the crylic as a cover for that particular product - I'd go with them. It probably bonds better. Polyurethane is notorious for bonding to nothing but itself and raw wood.

As for yellowing, unless the product states something about UV protection, it WILL yellow over time, depending upon the amount of exposure to direct sunlight.

------------------
George T.

Old 01-22-00, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Minwax recommends the polyacrylic because it does not yellow as the urethanes do so use as recommended. NO it is not as durable against alcohols, solvents and liquids BUT it can be sanded with 000 steel wool and resurfaced when you feel the surface is starting to dull.
Rainie

Old 09-07-08, 04:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Polycriylic vs. polyurethane

I've been using Minwax Polycrylic almost exclusively for the last several years. It doesn't yellow and is extremely easy to use. It has held up very well on the projects I have used it on. The only caution is to make sure to wait 24 hours if you are using it over an oil stain as it is a water based product.

Old 09-08-08, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by ;51483
BUT it can be sanded with 000 steel wool and resurfaced when you feel the surface is starting to dull.
Rainie
It is never a good idea to use steel wool when you plan to use a waterbased coating!!! Any leftover steel fibers tend to rust when coated with waterbased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: