painting over hand rubbed lacquer

Old 01-20-00, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
I know this should be a painting question, however, I would feel comfortable asking you to begin with since it involves a nice piece of furniture. You can forward your reply to this person as well as me if you could. I'll leave it up to you to edit this part out if you wish to post it in the forum.
Larry

-----Original Message-----
To: webmaster@doityourself.com <webmaster@doityourself.com>
Date: Saturday, January 15, 2000 4:11 PM
Subject: Question for Larry Plummer at "Painting"

Hi Larry! your directions and answers are fantastic! Wish I'd found you months ago!
I have a bummer of a problem: We have a very large armoire that was made for us via special order 15 (yikes!) years ago.
It is not an antique...
made out of high quality wood with European hinges, etc. The mechanics of the
armoire are the very best, and it works wonderfully.
PROBLEM? The color. It's GHASTLY mauve! Not only that, but it's a very
high-quality, hand-rubbed LACQUER. Can I paint over this lacquer finish?
The armoire is just too valuable to trash, and it's too big to "tuck away in a
spare bedroom" but we can't bear that color any longer. We have two matching
nightstands, too. (at the time we got these, we were the envy of the
neighborhood!! Can't imagine that now!)
Please help if you can. I would prefer to do this myself, since having it refinished is going to cost an arm and a leg. Oh yes: I don't care if new finish is lacquer... in fact, I'd prefer it's a more "normal"
furniture finish. THANK YOU.
Nick Mays (pmays25319@aol.com)

------------------
Larry Plummer
5824 Corydon Ridge Rd
Georgetown, IN 47122
1-812-949-3013
larryplummer@juno.com

Old 01-20-00, 11:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lacquer finishes can be painted over. The trick is in the surface preparation, and that involves a little work.

Clean the entire surface with dish suds to remove any dirt oil grease, grim, etc. Use 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper, lubricated with water, and sand the entire piece. You're not trying to sand the finish off, just rough it up enough for the new finish to adhere. When you're through sanding, the entire piece should look dull - no sheen anywhere.

Prime the piece with KILZ (the alcohol based version). I suggest this product specifically because I have used it for similar projects and it works. It is also sandable, allowing you the leave the primed surface dead smooth for the application of whatever finish you want. You can use oil, latex, or acrylic latex paint over KILZ.

Needless to say, the piece should be taken apart to start. Remove the doors from the case and all hardware. Mask off the holes for the hinges - those things fit tight, and you don't need to fight a coat of paint when you get ready to put it back together.

------------------
George T.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: