Sanded through the Veneer Grain!

Old 11-15-04, 07:47 AM
peiler
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sanded through the Veneer Grain!

The wife and I are refinishing our kitchen cabinets. This weekend, we noticed that I accidently sanded through the veneer surface (OK, laugh, but I thought it was a knot in the wood....).

The problem is the damage is in the corner of the cabinet face (I was working to get the old stain out of a corner area.)

I am looking for repair options. I can't take the frame apart and flip over the 'face', who ever made these used some sort of metal biscuit to hold the corners together. Are there ways to cut these apart and turn the faces over? Is this even possible while maintaining the size of the door itself?

I was thinking of simply buying some veneer sheets, cutting to size and glueing it to the damaged face, but my concern is that faces depth offset will change the appearance of the door in relation to the others. How 'thin' can I get a sheet of veneer? I estimate I have about 1/8" of total depth, so I would want something that was 1/32 or even thinner?

The wife is very capable in her detailed painting skills, we were wondering if there was a way to hide the area using a 'wood grain' style paint roller?

Any suggestions? We are going to stain the whole kitchen a fairly dark color, and they are made of Oak.

Old 12-06-04, 07:09 PM
scarfaccio
Visiting Guest
well the problem here is that other parts of the veneer are going to be dangerously thin. you could re-veneer over the old veneer (you can get some SERIOUSLY thin veneer), but the best result will come from taking off the old veneer and re-veneering the substrate. a heat gun and a wallpaper scraper will help you get the old veneer off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: