Furnature refinishing

Old 05-02-00, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone remember the product "Firsite" or "Firzite" (I forget the spelling) from WeldwooD plywood Co. years ago? I refinished a mahogany piano 40 years ago by simply sanding the mahogany smooth and applying two coats of "Firsite", a product of Weldwood Co. Now the finish has gotten rough in a few spots and I want to steel wool it and put down a fresh coat of something. But Firsite is not made any more. What do you suggest?

Old 05-02-00, 10:35 PM
Visiting Guest
TSCOTT
I'm going to move your question over to the Furniture Refinishing Forum where George will know about the product you mention if ANYONE will!

------------------
Be the job great or small, do it well or not at all!

Check out Timber Tailor tool reviews at:
www.thetimbertailor.cjb.net

Old 05-05-00, 01:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Well, I can't find it. Check with Weldwood and a gentleman there confirmed what I thought: the Weldwood Company does not now and has not made finishes. However, they did have a subsidiary sometime back that did - Minwax.

Unfortunately, a call to Minwax on their "help" line brought me in contact with a person who had no knowledge beyond what was being manufactured right now (and available in his computer) and no inclination to research (ask someone else) about any product that might have been previously made by Minwax..so much for that.

Given the time period of your original finish job, though, I'm inclined to think the product was a varnish. Brush-on lacquer was not common in those days (40 years ago) and polyurethanes were not even on the market.

As such, a good modern varnish (not poly) should probably work well for a refinishing job. A complete sanding is required, in order to give the new finish a 'tooth' to hang on, followed by a complete wipe down to get rid of the dust. Try it on the back of one of the legs, or if you refinished the inside of the sound panel (below the keyboard) originally, try it there, where it won't be seen if it doesn't work.

Corry I couldn't be of mroe help...

------------------
George T.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: