Restaining is the question......

Old 11-26-04, 06:15 AM
JFDJason
Visiting Guest
Talking Restaining is the question......

Here is my problem. About a year ago I stained some oak boards to build a entertainment center, they Never got polyed, just stained. We are ready to start building it and now my wife wants the boards to be a darker color stain. Is it possible to apply a darker stain and will the boards accept it. I have never done this before and just thought for sure some of you have. Thanks for the replys

Old 11-26-04, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
JFDJason;
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You can restain the boards a darker color and the wood will absorb it. Sand the boards lightly or use steel wool before the application of stain.Sanding will remove "fuzzies" and open the pores of the wood to make it ready to accept the stain. Also use a tack cloth to remove any residue from sanding.
Good luck with your project and post back to this thread using the reply button if you have more questions on this,as it will bring your question back to the top of the thread.

Old 12-06-04, 06:58 PM
scarfaccio
Visiting Guest
your level of success will depend heavily on the kind of stain you used. penetrating stains will seal the wood and you wil have to sand to open up the grain to take more stain. if you used a dye stain then just go to town.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: