putting finish on couch

Old 08-16-00, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a couch from This End Up (which I believe is a pine). It only has the six coushins that aren't wood. The back, arms and front are bare wood. It has never been finished in any way, just oiled. Since it is so soft, it is showing indents and surface scratches, etc. It also has some discoloration in "heavy traffic areas". I want to get rid of the marks and discolorations, and I think I better put a finish of some kind on at the same time so it is more protected. Do I simply start at the sanding step to get rid of the scratches, etc.? I like the wood's color (that's why we never stained it), so I only want to put something on it to help prevent these marks/scratches . . . What do you recommend? Can you recommend a product that won't leave the wood too shiney/glossy?

Old 08-17-00, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not a furnisher refinisher, just a hobbiest. I always use Clear Polyurethane, which comes in either Satin or Glossy. After 3 years, the glossy is not glossy anymore on my projects like the kitchen cart. The Satin is not glossy of course. Polyurethane is sold by many makers, and is sold by Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and just about everywhere. It can be applied with a disposible sponge brush or a nylon brush. It will however darken the sofa as though it would appear if it got wet with water. If you really want a clear finish, 'CLEAR Polyrethane' isn't technically clear, rather it is considered yellowish. There are truely clear finishes available, and I'm not sure, but I recall that they are called 'WATER CLEAR' to distinguish those products from those labeled 'CLEAR' which are yellowish. Most stores have good displays showing what the different finishes look like on pine, oak, etc. I suggest a trip to the store. Its not a confusing as it used to be to read the display, especially if you pick the ONE STEP products. I choose polyurethane for my projects because it is a one step product, unlike stains which usually (not always) require a top coat. MinWax products have several ONE STEP products that are easy to use. For a lasting finish, put on at least 2 coats, the more coats the longer it will last. As the product states, lightly sand (or steel wool as I do) between all coats. Sanding will dull the surface each time, but it smooths the finish foremost. The shine comes right back when you put on the next coat. Don't sand the last finish coat, of course. I hope that goes without saying.

Of course, sanding first sounds like the right idea. Those nicks will show up more as soon as you apply the finish to the wood, so take time sanding the piece smooth again.

Mark

Old 08-17-00, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
R. Mace:

Mark addressed your concerns very well, but I'd like to add one thing. Although a new finish will certainly help the appearance of your furniture, nothing you can do is going to change the fact that pine is a soft wood - dents and dings are liable to reappear no matter what you do.

------------
George T.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: