oak chair

Old 09-10-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an oak captain's chair with a red stain that is flaking off. I want to refinish it and have the natural color. Do I use stripper to remove the stain?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-00, 02:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Conner:

If the 'stain' is flaking off it's probably a lacquer finish with color added. A stripper may remove most of it, but you still have to deal with the original color of the wood. If the chair is red oak, the wood will still have a reddish tinge. A wood bleach will remove some (but not all) of this.

If, after stripping and bleaching the chair still has a reddish cast that is too much for your taste, try this.

Get the smallest container of Minwax Jacobean wood stain you can find (probably a pint - you may get lucky and be able to find a half pint - that's plenty.)

You'll need to stir this stain thoroughly and mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits (paint thinner). You want the color - but cut way down.

Jacobean looks like an extremely dark brown, but it's actually got a slight greenish tint to it - like Raw Umber the artists use. The slight green cast will tend to tone the red in the chair toward a neutral brown. You don't need much, and then let the chair dry thoroughly so you can get a good look at the color.

Still red - stain again. A slight greenish tint - wipe down with pure paint thinner. Got it right - use the finish of your choice.

----------
George T.