hand-rubbing a polyurethane finish ???

Old 11-21-00, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi George,

I've used a 000 synthetic steel wool pad (which I love) to "sand" between coats of satin water-based polyurethane on a chest.

I noticed that it took the shine down to a hand-rubbed looking finish without scratching. Since the result of the "satin" is still shinier than I'd like, I wonder if I can rub it down with the same or a 0000 syn pad. to give it a hand-rubbed look.

I understand pumice and oil/water is the traditional way to do this - but isn't something I want to try.

Is there a better way to tone down the shine, ie, make it look more like I labored with 10 coats of wax?? And do people really wax a polyurethane finish? I don't mind doing a coat or two if that will tone it down.

Thanks a lot!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-00, 03:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Dotz:

You've got the right idea with the wool, but you're going in the wrong direction! The finer the wool, the shinier the finish will be.

Wax would be an easier alternative, Briwax in particular.

One good reason for waxing any applied finish is making it easier to keep clean - dust just doesn't stick to it very well.

Pumice and/or rottenstone and oil can be tedious work, although you might want to experiment with it sometime on a piece of scrap wood that you've finnished - never know when you might HAVE to use it...

---------
George T.

Old 11-22-00, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks !

My msg may have been misleading. The final thing done to my chest is the last coat of poly. I just used the steel wool pad BETWEEN coats. It took down the shine nicely - so I had thought of doing it again after the final coat.

Are you suggesting I skip the wool pad and just wax it - or rub it with the pad and follow with wax? Or maybe use the wax as a rubbing agent? Guess I'm confused!!

dotz (or ditz?)

Old 11-23-00, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Dotz:

If the finish as it stands is smooth enough, just wax...

---------
George T.