Clear Finish for New Maple Cabinets

Old 01-03-05, 05:20 AM
Stepon Zubov
Visiting Guest
Clear Finish for New Maple Cabinets

Happy New Year! I am a neophite to this forum, however I have read deep through the threads absorbing information. I now have new soft maple kitchen cabinets (99% sapwood and 1% heartwood according to my cabinet maker). The cabinets are absolutely beautiful in their natural state, so I want to finish them with nothing but clear. The cabinet maker has final sanded the raw wood down to 320 grit , however when I told him that I thought I would prefer a water base polyurethane (since oil based will yellow), he told me the water would raise the grain back up and more sanding would be necessary, so now on to my questions: 1) is a water based polyurethane the best finish for longevity on unstained maple?, 2) if it is, should I use a sandable sealer first or will sanding between the first 2 of what I planned as a 3 coat gloss finish be suitable?, 3) I have a small Graco airless rig, is this suitable for applying polyurethane and if it is what number tip should I use? (I am fairly proficient with paint through it) or 4) rethink the entire finish?

I should add that this is in income property and therefore will probably not receive the same care that it would in my home. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Old 01-03-05, 05:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would use a sanding sealer because it will be easier to sand a large amount of surface easier than sanding just the first coat. On the other hand, some finish products are just as easy to sand.

You can raise the grain and sand to reduce some of the effect of the first water-based coat by wiping the wood with a water-dampened cloth. Once this dries, a couple of minutes or so, you can sand the raised grain. Use the same grit as was last used.

I prefer water-based products.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: