painting headboards

Old 01-04-05, 12:38 PM
JEMx5
Visiting Guest
painting headboards

Hi I purchased two headboards with the intent to paint them white. They are currently a maple color. I have never done anyhting like this before and am not totally sure of what to do. I primed them with a spray paint primer and the sprayed them with a gloss spray paint. As they started to dry I noticed they have a cracked appearance in some areas and bubly look in other areas. Should I have sanded them first? Do you think if I keep adding coats that it will eventually be smooth? Wht should I do?

Old 01-04-05, 04:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JEMx5
Should I have sanded them first? Do you think if I keep adding coats that it will eventually be smooth? Wht should I do?
Yes, you should have sanded them first

No, don't keep adding coats it won't help

This is happening because of improper surface preparation or incompatable finishes
Let them dry and then sand them as much as you can
Get down to the old finish if you can, and sand that some too

Then get out the brushes
Prime with a quality oil-based primer, your local paint shop may even have reccomondations for trouble projects like yours
You can top off with a quality oil or latex paint

If you want to use rattle cans, maybe someone will come along with suggestions, as I haven't found good success with them and wood

Old 01-08-05, 11:54 AM
JEMx5
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help. I am currently sanding them. Do I need to get all the white off? Or is it ok if I leave some of it? Some of it is not coming off and I'm afraid of sanding too much. I have some coming off in chunck that is leaving the old finish showing. I bought some kilz odorless primer does this sound right?
JEMx5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: