Remove Water Based Urethane?

Old 01-30-05, 07:58 AM
Navig8ur
Visiting Guest
Remove Water Based Urethane?

I recently installed an oak staircase and finished the treads with water based urethane. I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the look of the finish as it is too pale and does not highlight the oak. Can someone suggest if I can remove the 3 coats of urethane and if so how, or can I stain over top and then reseal with an oil based product? I realize I could sand the finish off but I am really wondering if there is a stripping product available.

I would like a slightly darker look and a more durable finish.

Thanks for your time

Old 01-30-05, 04:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refer to the label on the polyurethane for specific information, but usually any chemical stripper containing methlyene chloride will remove any finish.

Some of the older water-based polyurethanes were resistant to methylene chloride and required a specific product from the manufacturer to remove the finish. It seems that these were more durable than many imagined possible.

Water-based finishes don't yellow alnd tend to look cold when applied over stains. An amber tint can be added to the finish to produce the effect of a warmer look that many find lacking in water-based clear finishes. It may well be that another coat with the amber tint added to it may be the fastest, easiest way to achieve the look you want in the finish. The manufacturer of the finish ordinarily offers such a tint. You might check with the vendor of your product to see what is locally available.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: