Hardwood floor refinishing disaster! Help!!?

Old 02-14-05, 04:10 PM
aldahl
Visiting Guest
Hardwood floor refinishing disaster! Help!!?

My husband and I have been gutting a house built in 1908, and slowly rebuilding it. Unfortunately refinishing the hardwood floors has not been easy.

The floors were in pretty bad shape (big oil stains throughout the house), and several large patches had to be replaced. The wood is white oak. We sanded multiple times and stained the floor an ebony color (Zar oil-based wood stain in ‘charcoal’). When we came to check on it (we are not currently living in the place), it looked beautiful, except for a few key spots in the middle of some of the rooms. When we came back to check on it, there were big, ugly black circular trails where my brother-in-law had used the ‘edger’, and not gone back over it with the floor sander to smooth it out.

We were disappointed, but tried to ‘fix’ it ourselves, by re-sanding those spots with 120-grit sandpaper, and re-staining those areas. Then we got the splotchy patches with big black rings around them (ugh). I’ve tried a little sanding of the big black rings, but am afraid that in the long run I will just keep making it worse and worse and will have wasted my time. What a mess! Any advice? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-15-05, 06:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
usage of the edger is because you can't get to the area with the drum sander. i would hope that the floor is level by now. you can rent a
sander that is random orbit, four circular sanding pads, stick on. this will
allow you to get "closer" to the walls. I think you might want to resand
the whole floor again. after sanding, test the area near the wall with a thinner to "see" what it would look like with a clear finish. it helps in
determining if more sanding is necessary.
the final sanding of the entire floor must be with the same grit paper.

Old 02-15-05, 09:17 PM
K
I second leewaytoo's advice about using some form of orbital pad sander. There are many, large and small. You will see when all the scratches are sanded out. The stain gives you an advantage here.

Now is a great time to do some filling, as you know just what colour the filler has to match, yet you'll be re-sanding the entire floor, and so the filler as well.

Oil stain was a smart choice because it won't blotch where the grease marks were/are.

Old 02-16-05, 11:38 AM
aldahl
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thank you both for your advice. Do you mean to use some kind of orbital pad sander instead of going over the whole thing with the drum sander again, or in addition to using the drum sander again (instead of using the edger)? Thanks a lot.

Old 02-16-05, 12:11 PM
L
yes, you can rent a "four pad" orbit sander at your local hd.
your floor should be level from using the drum sander, provided you
did the x pattern and then with the grain, with the same grit.
you can also buy a random orbit sander, single pad, to get as close
as possible to the wall. the "four pad" is good for floors that do not
have much if any finish nor leveling needed. use the drum sander for
heavy sanding.

Old 02-16-05, 12:16 PM
K
The drum sander can't sand close to walls - that's why your brother-in-law used the edger, the right thing to do. The edger cuts violently in circles, though, so it left deep, obvious scratches.

Now, an orbital pad sander will get the whole floor and very near the edges, gently, but won't remove much wood. Some people use this third sander after the two, others just go straight to stain as he did.

So it turns out staining was a step too soon, and you'll have to go back and use this third tool. Not really a disaster, just a wasted can of stain. The stain will show you when all the edger scratches are out.

There are many different machines that sand orbitally with a pad. Call the rental place and ask what they have, and recommend.

You may need to do some hand sanding where the orbital can't reach.

Old 02-16-05, 12:19 PM
aldahl
Visiting Guest
OK, great!

Thank you both so much for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: