Waterproofing for Wood Vanity

Old 02-28-05, 11:42 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing for Wood Vanity

Hi,

I installed a new bathroom vanity one month ago. It is solid wood, with a dark mahogany finish. The top of the vanity around the sink (which is an above-counter basin sink) has started showing some water damage from places where we placed a soap dispenser or a toothbrush. It appears that the dark wood is splitting slightly to show lighter wood underneath.

I want to treat just this top surface of the vanity around the sink so that it will not show this damage. I know that I can fill the current small cracks so that they will not show, but I also want to protect it so that it does not continue to happen. However, I dont want it to suddenly be glossy or look substantially different that the wood of the door or sides of the vanity. Is there a polyeurethane that I can use that will be low gloss and that will not change the color of the vanity top? Or is there another product that I should try?

To see the vanity model for a better idea of the color, please look at the following link:

http://www.porcher-us.com/ProductNew.asp?prodID=1348

We did not buy the marble top that is shown in the picture. The top is the same color and style wood in the rest of the cabinet. I have an actual picture if it helps.

Thanks.

- Bob

Old 02-28-05, 04:49 PM
C
Apparently, the original construction was not as well sealed and finished as you might have hoped. If you use a water-based polyurethane, it will not change the color of the current finish. An oil-based polyurethane will have an amber cast to it.

Make sure that all edges and seams are sealed to keep the water out. Use a semi-gloss or matte finish polyurethane to avoid the sheen of a gloss finish.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-05, 02:15 AM
K
I'm sorry but I don't think this will last. If the wood's doing what the marble does in that picture, then there's just too much end grain exposed to wet, and the weak bridges where even seasonal wood movement will cause splits.

Extend the life of this with many many coats preferably with a marine polyurethane, not so much on the top as on the edges. You can apply a final coat of weaker, less glossy finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: