Cleaning Lacquer finish on Speakers

Old 03-01-05, 09:34 AM
NMyTree
Visiting Guest
Cleaning Lacquer finish on Speakers

Hello folks. I'm new to the forum.

I have a pair of Quad 22L audio speakers, in a high gloss lacquer finish, with Yew veneer wood, underneath.

I was hoping someone could please help me with finding a safe way to clean and maintain the high gloss finish on my speakers.

I can't seem to find a way to insert an image, and show what my speakers look like. Maybe that would help.

Old 03-01-05, 12:07 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
If you have that really high gloss polish, there isn't something out there that will "Re-vive" them. Those finishes are done with buffing wheels and compound. The same concept as a high polish gloss "car like" on a dining room table.

Old 03-01-05, 12:38 PM
NMyTree
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
If you have that really high gloss polish, there isn't something out there that will "Re-vive" them. Those finishes are done with buffing wheels and compound. The same concept as a high polish gloss "car like" on a dining room table.

Thanks sawdustguy.

The high gloss has not dulled or diminished on the speakers. I'm just concerned with finding a way to clean and maintain the finish, in a safe manner. Have any ideas?

Someone had suggested for me to put a little drop of Lemon Oil on a soft 100% cotton rag, and wipe the finish with it. Claiming that would keep it shiny and protect it. But I'm a bit gunshy on this suggestion and am seeking some other opinions first.

What do you think?

Old 03-01-05, 12:51 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
From time to time, you "MIGHT" be able to put some buffing compound on it and rub it back off.

Like I said, those finishes are achieved by buffers.

There should be no reason to put any type of furniture polish on anything. It's all marketing and it CAN and WILL ruin the finish over time. Lemon Oil or Furniture Cream, like Wiemans 2 times a year would be ok. For routine cleaning, a very very damp cloth, followed by a dry one.

"IF" someone is a clean person, all you should ever need to do to furniture is wipe the dust off.

Old 03-01-05, 04:20 PM
NMyTree
Visiting Guest
Dust build up, especially on the top of the speakers, is exactly what I'm talking about here. There really is nothing else that touches the finish of the speakers. Our house is very clean and dust is the only problem.

When need be, I only handle them (the speakers) with 100% cotton gloves.

Thank you again, sawdustguy.

Old 03-01-05, 07:08 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Those must be some kind of speakers!

No prob.

See, people assume that you need some type of polish to keep it looking good, but that's not true. Just be a clean person!

Make sure you keep some humidity in your home too.

Old 03-02-05, 12:36 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Always damp dust with soft cloth dampened with plain water. Wipe to dry with soft cloth. Never use paper towels as fibers can scratch. Never dry dust as dust particles can scratch finish. Never apply wax or oil or cleaning products containing wax or oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: