Plaster on wood cabinets? help!!

Old 03-03-05, 04:20 PM
Shannon2633
Visiting Guest
Angry Plaster on wood cabinets? help!!

I recently began renovating the kitchen of an old house. I believe the house was built around 1920. I wanted to strip all the cabinets and stain the wood to have a more natural look.

After removing a layer of wallpaper (disgusting green flowers) and 4 layers of paint, I have come onto the last layer before the natural wood which is something chalky, white and really hard to remove. I can only assume that it is plaster... but who knows! Stripper does not work on it. Sanding it is taking FOREVER and my shoulder really hurts. I have also heard that people used to lime on wood cabinets. This layer is about 1/5 of an inch thick.

Any suggestions on what it might be and how I can remove it?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-03-05, 07:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it is plaster, you may have to break it off by tapping it with something hard. Take care not to damage the underlying wood. After you chip off what you can, sanding may be the sole method of removing the remaining plaster. Plaster is a fairly stable compound. I don't know of a solvent for it. Consider that there may be plaster on the wood to cover some cosmetic fault.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: