How to finish new wood carsiding

Old 03-22-05, 02:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to finish new wood carsiding

My husband and I are building a new house and have installed pine carsiding in several rooms. What is the best way for me to finish it? I will probably not apply stain as the color is pretty nice but if I do stain it I have heard it is difficult to get it to ‘take’ to pine evenly.
Thanks!

Old 03-22-05, 05:53 PM
C
If you like the natural color, why not just apply a clear coat of polyurethane? Pine will yellow with age and exposure to light. It will develop a yellow-gold patina. Pine can be troublesome to stain because it will not take stain evenly. If you decide to stain it, take your time to apply and wipe the stain as evenly as possible. Just go by the way it looks as you apply and wipe the stain.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-05, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Smile

Personally I like natural wood and poly would be a good finish. If you do decide to stain the best way to get even stain coverage is to apply a wash coat first. You can either buy it premade or make your own with 25-30 %varnish mixed with paint thinner. This lightly seals the wood so that the stain will apply more uniformly. It may not stain as dark so test on a peice of scrap wood first to make sure you have the desired color.

Old 03-23-05, 08:04 AM
S
Thanks. Clear poly it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: