Refinishing 19 year old wooden cabinets

Old 04-07-05, 05:30 PM
Sims
Visiting Guest
Refinishing 19 year old wooden cabinets

I recently purchased a 19-year-old house. It has wooden cabinet in kitchen and bath, someone told us that it is Oak wood. These were not maintained properly so they look old.

Can some one please tell me what will be the best way to make it look better? Someone told us that I should clean the cabinets with acetone, then clean it with sand paper and then apply stain. Will that make the wood look like new?

Sine my husband and me have no knowledge of doing stuff like this, we want some solution, which is easy and fast.

Thanks in advance,

Old 04-08-05, 09:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
It is a little hard to say without seeing them. Clean and sand them up first,, then wipe them down with some paint thinner. Look at them while the thinner is still wet, that will give you an idea of what they would look like with poly applied. They make tinted polyurathane which might work well. I don't know if stain will work well without stripping them first. If all else fails you can prime and paint them.

Old 04-08-05, 04:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A good way to clean kitchen cabinets is with spic and span or mineral spirits. Both these will remove grease, grit, and grime. Once the cabinets are truly clean, you can tell more about the finish. If the finish itself is simply dull, you can apply a fresh coat of polyurethane as marksr suggested. If the wear and tear is down into the stain, that is, the finish is raw and will absorb water, then the dullness won't be improved by simply finishing. Stripping will be needed prior to new stain and finish.

You can wet the clean surface with some mineral spirits to get a feel for how it would look with a finish on it, to decide if the stain will be too dark or too light.

In any event, acetone is not suited for cleaning cabinets. It is an explosion hazard due to its high vapor pressure and flammability. It tends to damage weak finishes and glues.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: