polyurethane?

Old 05-20-05, 11:21 AM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
polyurethane?

Hi,Guys:

What is the difference between stain and polyurethane? If paint on wood, do I need to apply both?

Also, in the homedepot, I saw minwax has combination of stain and polyurentane. It is better to apply them seperately or use this kind of combination?

Any answer would be appreciated!

Acton

Old 05-20-05, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stain is a brown colorant that darkens raw wood. once you've stained something, you need to finish or seal it with something, either polyurethane or oil or wax, etc. some stains are wiping stains, meant to be applied and then the excess is wiped off, leaving only a stain on the wood. other stains are meant to be applied with a brush (LIKE painting) and they don't get wiped off. they just dry as is. sometimes you need to lightly sand in between coats, and then wipe off that dust with a tack cloth before the next coat.

polyurethane is a clear protectant that dries hard, either in a satin or glossy finish, and is applied after the staining is done.

Minwax makes a product that contains both stain & poly in one can, so theirs is a one-step process. i've used it & liked it. it may still take more than one coat, though, to achieve your desired finish.

if you'll just read the directions on whatever products you choose, you'll be fine.

Old 05-20-05, 02:22 PM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
Very clear!! Thanks.

Another question or advice I want to get from you:

How should I do to make stain paint look good and even? Maybe I should post you a picture what I have done and correct me.

Acton

Old 05-20-05, 02:27 PM
what is "stain paint"???? are you staining or painting?? they're 2 completely different things!!!

Old 05-22-05, 12:12 PM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
I was using Mixwas stain&polyurethane. As you said, I should not call this as a paint. But it got different colors. I can not help calling it a kind of "paint".

What rules should I follow to make sure stain color even?

Old 05-25-05, 05:42 PM
D
I've used the minwax combination stain/polyurethane for years - and love it. Follow the instructions on the can for preparation - for if your surface is already stained, and you do an uneven sanding job, the color will be uneven no matter what you do. - Keep a dry brush handy, ( I use foam disposable brushes, and go through a few when doing this) and go over the darker areas to even out the coat.

Old 05-26-05, 07:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I painted for over 30 yrs and quite often myself and others will refer to stain, varnish & poly as paint even though it technically isn't. [but then it is all related] Tinted poly must be applied evenly. Because of the color that is in the poly an uneven coat will result in heavy areas being darker than light areas and lap marks will really show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: