paint refinished old table

Old 05-25-05, 10:53 AM
Bob2
Visiting Guest
paint refinished old table

I have stripped an older half-moon table to bare wood. The top is oak pieces glued together and the legs a softer wood.I am a frugal guy and like to use what I have creatively. I have some water based white paint. Could I use a watered down coat of that paint as a primer,sealer, and come back with the paint out of the can as a finish coat?Do I need to coat the top with any type of cleaf finish? The table will get no use at all,just sit in an entrance way maybe with a picture on it.

Thanks,Bob

Old 05-27-05, 08:44 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As long as there is no real bad knots or discolorations in the wood, that should work fine. you don't even really have to water down the first coat. just double coat it and you should be good to go. what type of finish is on the paint?

Old 05-27-05, 09:51 AM
Bob2
Visiting Guest
Noleguy follow-up

Noleguy
Thanks for your response. Your last sentence "what type of finish is on the paint?" The table was covered with a brown tinted varathane type of finish which has been stripped down to bare wood.I intend to use a base coat of white and work from there to maybe marbling or something using other colors.

Old 05-29-05, 05:57 PM
C
Thinning paint does not create primer. If you don't use primer, just use the paint full strength according the instructions on the label. Sand between coats to present a smooth surface for your creativity.

Old 05-30-05, 05:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
You would get better results using an oil base primer.

Old 05-30-05, 09:59 AM
Bob2
Visiting Guest
oil and water

Regarding the suggestion to use an oil based primer;are oil and water based paints compatable in this instance?That is an oil based primer and water based finish coat.

Old 05-30-05, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
Most oil primers can be top coated with oil or latex. The same is true for most latex primers.

Old 06-08-05, 09:46 AM
Don't bother to water the first coat down. Use as-is.

Unless you want to change the color, do NOT use a 'clear' finish over the paint. 'Clear' finishes have an amber cast which will yellow the white paint.

If, in the furture, you need a truly clear finish, look up furniture refinishing supply houses on line and specify a 'water-clear' finish.

Old 06-10-05, 03:37 PM
L
or use a water based varathane at about 40 dollars plus a gallon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: