Sanding splintered furniture

Old 06-18-05, 07:11 AM
kmeisenh
Visiting Guest
Question Sanding splintered furniture

While cleaning furniture(a dresser and a rocking chair) intended for my baby's room, I noticed splintering in places. I had to get up close to notice it, but I don't want splinters getting the baby later. This is older furniture: the dresser was mine when I was little, and I've owned the rocker for at least ten years. The dresser has been stained and the rocker has been painted white. What do I need to do to repair and refinish these pieces?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-05, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Try to work some glue into the cracks and clamp them down. Then re finish with poly or varnish [will help prevent more splintering] On the painted piece it may be easier to cut out what is loose and patch and repaint.

Old 06-18-05, 05:38 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The wood is splintering because it's old and dry. The surface can be stabilized (for this generation) with more paint or varnish. Be prepared to put on many coats; the coats will continue to cure and shrink not for days or weeks but for *months*.

You might also round off all the edges (consistently? depends on the piece) of the dresser with sandpaper. But then those edges will probably need stain.

I've actually got my old childhood dresser on the balcony right now, for refinishing. My son and his friends like hiding in the little closet half of it, so I'll sand that part too and wipe a thin coat of polyurethane varnish into the raw fir. This will also preserve my aunt's handiwork with blue crayon, and my own abstract designs in pencil. The rest of the dresser is painted, so I'm using autobody filler to patch where wood has chipped off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: