New to this, need some tips.

Old 07-05-05, 04:10 AM
bison
Visiting Guest
New to this, need some tips.

Hi, I've never finished wood before but I have a small square cherry table with a drawer that I would like to refinish. It's been passed around the family for 20 or more years now and the finish is starting to show it's age. I'm not quite sure where to start on this project so if someone could point me in the right direction and maybe suggest a good stripping agent to remove the old stain that would be a big help. Also if anyone could suggest a good stain to bring out the natual color of the wood. The current stain on it is a dark redish color and I would like to see a lighter stain on it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-05-05, 07:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the forum

A lot of cherry wood has a dark red color to it. I have never stained any cherry, always finished it natural. Depending on the wood it can be anywhere from a medium red/brown to a dark red. Wood finished with oil base products tend to darken with age. You may just want to sand it down, clean it up and apply a couple coats of poly. I use strippers infrequently and can't recomend one over the other.

Old 07-05-05, 07:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kwik (by Savogran) is a good, moderately priced stripper that will remove the finish and some stain, if not all.

Once the piece has been stripped and cleaned completely (I use lacquer thinner as a final wash to remove all debris and neutralize the stripper), wipe the piece down with the lacquer thinner and look at the color while it is wet. This is the color you'll have if you do nothing more than apply a finish to the wood.

Which color stain you use to change this will depend on the color of the wood at that time. Minwax, Zar and Cabot-Tripp all make good stains - just find the color you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: