Restore Dining Room Table

Old 07-08-05, 10:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restoring Dining Room Table--help please

I have an old dining room table (not sure how old, but it was my great grandparent's). I think that it is made of some kind of mahogany. The surface of the table is in moderately bad shape--it has many areas of discoloration, it picks up handprints easily, it has many scratches, and it has many chips on the edges of the surface. I am not an experienced woodworker and I would like to improve the appearance of the table with the least work possible. I have read about different methods, but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Here are three questions I have:

1) Do I need to refinish the table? What would this involve?

2) If I just want to try to remove the wax, clean the wood, and reapply wax what do I need to do? Is this likely to help the appearance much?

3) Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 07-09-05, 05:25 AM
The answer to your first question will depend on the results of the second question - and no one can tell you how much the appearance will be changed.

Try Murphy's oil soap and 0000 steel wool. This should take off all the dirt wax and grime. If the finish is in really bad shape, it may be removed also. It will then be your call as to whether to go further with your project, or just reqx the table.

Old 07-09-05, 01:45 PM
B
Thanks for the reply George. What exactly do I need to do with the oil soap and steel wool? Do I need to wax/polish the table after I use the soap and steel wool?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: