How do you get a limed whitewash finish on Pine Furniture

Old 07-11-05, 01:45 PM
axwhale
Visiting Guest
Question How do you get a limed whitewash finish on Pine Furniture

I have some pine furniture which I have had for about 20 years, this bedroom furniture is not solid pine but has a pine veneer. They are looking very sad and the colour is now rather orange which looks awful. Is it possible to get a white wash /limed finish on them. Next question is how do you do it and what would you use?
Any help and advice would be appreciated. I am absolutely useless with any thing to do with DIY. If it can be done is it a very difficult job.

Old 07-12-05, 06:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it can be done.

No, it's not difficult.

Here's how.

Any finish on the furniture must be removed. Any defects, holes, gouges, etc. should be repaired.

apply one coat of waterbase WATER CLEAR polyurethane, allow to dry completely. Sand lightly to remove irregularities and wipe down to remove dust.

Pick a latex paint (usually a pale gray or beige) that will give you the "washed" look you want - that's the hard part.

Wipe the paint on with a rag or sponge and wipe off until you have the level (intensity) of color you want. Allow to dry overnight. Topcoat with the same poly you used for a base coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: