Advice for Refinishing Butcher Block Table

Old 07-11-05, 02:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Advice for Refinishing Butcher Block Table

I'm looking for suggestions for refinishing an alder butcher block table top. It currently has waterlox on it which was gorgeous when we did it, but I have a feeling we did not wait long enough for a cure plus we are really hard on the table (two toddlers) so there are places where we have rubbed through the finish and it gets sticky when we run the evap cooler or are steaming up the kitchen. The original finish was just many coats of waterlox and finally I put a very light coat of wax on it. I really need something that will stand up as I don't have the time to refinish very often. I believe I allowed the waterlox to cure for only a couple days last time. My plan was to sand the finish down and put a coat of poly on it. Can I do that? Will it work? Will 72 hours be long enough to cure? We live in the desert. Wipe on vs. brush on? How many coats will it take?
Thanks from a bungler,
Kinsey

Old 07-12-05, 08:48 AM
If you used the Waterlox urethane, it should have been completely dry within 6 hours. Their Tung oil takes 24-36 hours to dry properly.

I would NOT suggest topcoating with another brand. If you want to switch brands, strip the piece and then go with another finish.

Old 07-12-05, 12:58 PM
M
I didn't use the Waterlox urethane...just the waterlox original sealer/finish. I guess I was attracted to the all-in-one nature. Will the waterlox urethane give me the durability I'm looking for? If I decide to sand and the the wood is then lighter then I'd like how long between adding another waterlox original coat and adding the urethane?
--Kinsey

Old 07-13-05, 04:36 AM
The Waterlox urethane is made for floors - it should be durable enough for your application.

A light sanding (wiping clean afterward) should be all the prep you need. I wouldn't bother with another coat of sealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: