Rust stain on old wood barrel

Old 07-12-05, 01:48 PM
RAN
Visiting Guest
Rust stain on old wood barrel

I have an old wood Miller beer barrel, the staves are rust stained from the hoops, and otherwise it is only weathered gray from being outside.

Not using it as an antique, but wishing to “restore” it some, and then protect it to a degree outside.

Might someone know how might I best remove the rust from the wood without too much negative effect?

After removing the rusted hoops, I intend to prime them with a rust converter and primmer, the hoops are still mostly galvanized. Then I intend to coat the wood a few times with a raw linseed oil and turpentine mix. Any other suggestions and better methods would be appreciated.

I should note that lemon juice [like real leamon] has a limited affect so far and a converter stains it dark or black.

Last edited by RAN; 07-12-05 at 01:51 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-14-05, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a product generically known as "wood bleach" - it's oxalic acid. It comes in a 1 Lb box as a powder you mix with hot water.

This will do as good a job as can be done on the stains. Apply to the entire surface, not just the stains, as it will ighten the wood somewhat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: