1950's wood trim - refinishing

Old 07-14-05, 01:22 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1950's wood trim - refinishing

Our new home was built in 1956. The wood trim around the doors is light almost blond color. It does not look like stain, but more like a wash or paint. I have seem similar color on wood furniture of this era.
Does anyone know how I could refinish the moulding and ensure a match to the color?
Thanxs

Old 07-14-05, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
I think I know what you're referring to. It might be that they have used a type of varnish that has turned milky due to UV. Ive seen this a lot working on window trim in houses of that era.

Try this: Find an inconspicuous area and try rubbing it with a rag and lacquer thinner and see if the milky color goes away and reveals the true color of stain. That will give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Old 07-16-05, 04:12 PM
I know this blonde finish. The first coat is a light white stain, the second coat is a typical clear varnish which actually has a yellow tint to it as most do.

You can take a piece of it to a professional paint store and they can match up the white stain fairly closely. Matching the white is the hard part. Then nearly any varnish will complete it. The new finish will not match exactly due to fading of the old finish.

Or you can experiment with buying white stain yourself. With this 2 step formula you will be in the right target range regardless what the exact color is.

If your refinishing the door casing, for example, then buy new casing for the complete door and finish it, otherwise you will find it difficult to strip the old stain.

You could experiment with the hallway handrail to see if you like the result. The glossier finish will not conflict with the surrounding trim. And the handrail is probably worn down to the wood anyway.

Old 09-25-07, 05:19 PM
S
Arrow Touch Up Refinishing Old Wooden Doors

We have some beautiful old solid wood doors which are in pretty good shape. How ever, they have some scratches and dull spots which we would like to touch up to make the door more flawless and uniform. There are also a lot of nooks and crannies in the details.

We have no idea what the doors were originally finished with sometime over the past hundred years since they are so old. Is it absolutely required to strip them if all we want is some minor touch ups?.

In the end we donít want them to be shiny at all, just clean looking like someone been taking good care of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: