help,finish on oak table melted?

Old 07-17-05, 08:32 PM
knothead
Visiting Guest
help,finish on oak table melted?

My husbands grandmothers oak pedestal table belongs to us now, and I brought in a can of hairspray in a plastic bag,set it on the table, the next morning I picked it up and somehow the can had leaked hairspray and melted the shellac,varnish or whatever,I got a towel and wiped up the hairspray,but the finish couldn't be smoothed.What do I do next.I haven't a clue .I hope someone can help.
Mary(knothead for sure )

Old 07-17-05, 08:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Damaged finish will require refinishing. There is no quick fix.

Old 07-17-05, 11:05 PM
knothead
Visiting Guest
melte finish

I know it will need refinishing, but don't have a clue as to what needs to be done.I will have to take it to a professional to do it, but want to be educated as to what will be appropriate.Thanks

Old 07-18-05, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oak Pedestal tables were traditionally finished in either shellac or lacquer. As you have discovered, hair spray contains a solvent that will dissolve either finish.

The top of the table will have to be stripped. There is a good possibility that part of the color will be removed in this process. The refinisher will have to restain the top to match the pedestal. If you have a chair that came with the table (and is of the right color) you may be asked to provide that as a color match guide.

If the table has a leaf that has not been damaged, this can be used as a color guide.

Whether the leaf (if available) has been damaged or not, I would reccomend recoating the leaf also in order to have a sheen match between the leaf and the refinished table top.

Lacquer would be an appropriate top coat and is available from most refinishing shops. Consult an antique dealer in your area for a reputable refinisher.

Old 07-18-05, 09:18 PM
knothead
Visiting Guest
melted finish on oak table

Thanks so much for your advice,there is a leaf that wasn't on the table and fortunately only one part of the table was damaged but if I understand correctly, the whole top and leaf should be refinised at the same time.Is THAT IT?

Old 07-19-05, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The table top needs to be stripped and refinished. The table leaf just needs to be recoated with the same finish in order to make certain the sheen is uniform. The leaf does NOT need to be stripped - it's used as a color guide for refinishing the table.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: