heat damaged table top

Old 07-31-05, 01:37 AM
baby3848
Visiting Guest
heat damaged table top

my dinning room table just recived some heat damage from my iron (not directly on it ) and now I have hazey whittish marks on it . I tried using the baking soda paste but I can still see the marks should I continue with the soda paste? is there somthing else I can do? I also plan on using the turtle wax after but want the marks gone first. HELP

Old 08-01-05, 09:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're referring to the Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover, that's probably all you need. It contains a mild abrasive that (in most cases) will eliminate the white haze as well as polishing the top.

Old 08-02-05, 01:26 AM
baby3848
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help

thanks for the quick reply I will go ahead with the wax . Once again thanks so much.

Old 08-02-05, 07:40 PM
Mommacajun
Visiting Guest
looks like your fix may apply to my problem too; have you tried this suggestion and did it correct the problem?

Old 08-03-05, 05:27 AM
Give us some details onYOUR problem and we'll offer some help

Old 08-03-05, 09:56 PM
baby3848
Visiting Guest
reply to mommacajun

I first applied the baking soda paste and that worked well but left a bit of haze so I went ahead and applied the wax and it work great.

Old 08-05-05, 06:40 PM
MichaelBarron
Visiting Guest
Water Damage to Furniture

So my Mother left out her old furniture in the rain today. She started to panic and tell me it's all ruined.

When I looked at the furniture it was just really white haze where water penetrated.

I'm convinced it's not ruined.

Now what is this white haze? And why exactly can't Finished Furniture get wet?

I'm a salior and have varnished many pieces of wood. But Furniture seems to boggle my mind

Also I've read that Turtle Wax will help. Is this the same Turtle Wax as the car stuff?

Any suggestions to solve this would be great.

Old 08-06-05, 05:49 AM
The white haze comes (as you suspected) from moisture trapped in the surface,

The furniture is finished with lacquer which is not waterproof. Lacquer is used because it is quick drying (speeds up the mfg. process)

As you know, varnish is waterproof, particularly the spar varnish type.

Both baking soda and Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover act as a mild abrasive to remove the very top layer of finish, releasing the trapped moisture. Turtle Wax has the additional benefit of a wax to polish the surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: