Colored stain over old stain?

Old 08-09-05, 05:01 AM
A
Aya
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Colored stain over old stain?

I have knotty pine paneling that is dark, dull, reddish gold color. It's not a very exciting color and the darkness of it wouldn't bother me if it were brighter red or burgundy -then I could probably actually decorate with it.

Anyone know if those new translucent colored wood stains would work over pre-stained wood? I'm hoping I can use a reddish one to deepen the color that is already there. The finish is completely matte, so I don't think it was ever sealed, although it is 40-50 years old - it will soak water right up if I let it.

Old 08-09-05, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 852 Upvotes on 747 Posts
I doubt you could restain it. You can use tinted polyurathane [minwax - polyshades]. Care must be used to get even coverage - lap marks will show double the color. Since the wood is so dry it would be best to put a coat of clear poly on it first and go from there.

Old 08-10-05, 07:54 PM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
I would try a coat of shellac first, just to see if that would brighten the existing colors.
If you still want to add color, use Old Masters Glaze to achieve the desired effect. Topcoat with shellac.

I have seen Knotty pine refinished via a color-wash process that is absolutely stunning. This involves using a paint-glaze & wiping most of it off.

Old 08-11-05, 07:24 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Following on Boxarocks suggestion, aqua products line makes a stain and seal in several colors that might work. In my old home, I sanded the pine and did a white wash on the paneling. I used thinned white alkalyd paint and then sealed. I think that might be rather dated looking now though and think the colored stain would probably work better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: