yellowing laquer

Old 08-16-05, 11:22 AM
siama1
Visiting Guest
Question yellowing laquer

end tables have laquer topcoat that is aging a nasty yellow . there is a crackle finish in a whitish paint underneath the lacquer. how can i remove or fix the lacquer without harming finish underneath . i do not want to strip the totol finish .i did try a small hidden spot with lacquer thinner and it removed the lacquer and the white paint also .i afraid if i try strip totally i won't be able to make it look professional again . please advice . thank you for your help !

Last edited by siama1; 08-16-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 06:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good old nitrocellulose lacquer. Chances are the white paint underneath is lacquer also, comes in more colors than the rainbow. There aren't may paints that you can overcoat with clear lacquer than lacquer itself.

And yes, lacquer yellows over time as you've noticed. Chances also are that the white is yellowing as much as the clear, so don't get too attached to the white part.

You can probably, with a good bit of lacquer thinner and a box of *nitrile gloves* strip this piece and repaint it with a good brand enamel like Rust O Leum, or you can have it professionally refinished with a good brand catalyzed lacquer or pigmented conversion varnish (nasty stuff, which is why they don't sell it at Home Depot). Beware lacquer thinner, it will punish you for your sins to the fourth and fifth generation. Wear nitrile gloves and change them if they get gummy. Great stuff to work with other than the fumes and toluene content (which is why it's dangerouse).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: